Saturday 25 August 2012

Realising opportunities/ Volunteering

A couple of months ago I posted about a programme I joined called Realising opportunities. Well one of the tasks I have to do in order to pass the programme is an academic assignment.


I have to write a 1500-2000 word essay on any topic of my choosing. On Tuesday (21st August 2012) I met up with my tutor who will help me with my assignment. Together we decided to come up with the question "Who has the Olympics benefited the most?" as my essay question. I have to take into consideration  my essay structure and other things just as if I've been set an essay in college or university. This is great preparation of what I will be expected to do in university so it's good to get a taster on what it'll be like.

                           
During the summer holidays I was really frustrated that I wasn't finding a job and I really wanted something to keep me busy. My friend suggested that I started volunteering. I thought about it and realised that it's not such a bad idea so I went on the internet and looked at different charities and came across British Red Cross. I was mainly interested in volunteering in a charity shop close to college so I could work there for a couple of hours a week during my free period. What attracted me to British Red Cross the most was that they are the only charity shop that offer a certificate for young shop volunteers.

Firstly, at the Standard Level I have to complete 40 hours of volunteering on the shop floor and discovering what goes on behind the scenes. If I want to progress to the Advanced level this takes 100 hours to complete where I get an introduction into management, organise my own project and explore what goes on within the Red Cross. My aim is to complete the Advanced level because it'll be great to learn new skills and actually take control of something that I can take credit for if it's successful. This will also help improve my confidence in leading a team which is really important when applying for a job and can help me stand out.

I'm so glad I came across this and if anyone is interested in volunteering they should really get involved. It's great that whilst helping out a charity that changes peoples lives at the same time it's benefits you in terms on future success. I just started yesterday (24th August 2012) but I'm excited to get involved with in the coming year.

I will definitely keep posting what I take part in.

No comments:

Post a Comment